Kowhai Room are learning about Kiwiana - our culture and items that represent our culture.
Some of the things we have found that represent us as Kiwis are:
Have a look at this website for more about Kiwiana
We need your help! We want to find out about what items represent other cultures and countries.
We would love to see how many countries we can find on our map!
Some of the things we have found that represent us as Kiwis are:
Jandals
Hokey-Pokey ice-cream, Jelly-Tip ice-cream
the Kiwi bird
Marmite
Buzzy Bee toy
Gumboots
Pavlova
Pohutukawa Christmas tree
Silver fern
Fish n Chips
Have a look at this website for more about Kiwiana
We need your help! We want to find out about what items represent other cultures and countries.
Can you send us an comment with information about your culture and the country you come from - listing the items / icons of your culture.
We would love to see how many countries we can find on our map!
Some things Kansans like are: Beef, Corn, Chicken, Hunting, Ice Cream, Watermelons, Fishing at the lake, Nature, Farming, Ranching and being in basements when tornadoes come!
ReplyDeleteAs a Kiwi I'm very glad to see that you have Marmite on your list! Not long now until it is back (I am scraping the bottom of my jar!). In Tauranga, Mount Maunganui's shape is very iconic. We have lots of carvings around depicting the Mount. I look forward to seeing what other countries you can find out about!
ReplyDeleteCHILE: empanadas with red wine, corn cake, toast with avocado for breakfast and afternoon tea, pisco, copper, soccer, condor and huemul
ReplyDeleteHi all from the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, Australia!
ReplyDeleteSimilarly, we say 'Australiana' - symbols like thongs (the jandal type!), meat pies, koalas/kangaroos/emus/wombats, Vegemite, beach/surf culture, the Outback, Uluru (Ayers Rock), boomerangs, cork hats, the Harbour Bridge and Opera House.
[As an Aussie married to a Kiwi, I too will be happy to see the return of Marmite (we always have to have jars of both 'mites' in our house and have been missing the Marmite for a while now)!]
All the best with your research!
Here in France, symbols that represent the country include lots of different kinds of wine, the Tour de France cycling competition, accordion music, the Eiffel Tower and the cockerel, which is the national bird - like the kiwi is for New Zealand.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI was in a taxi in rural China and the driver asked where I was from and in my poor Chinese I replied "Wo Xīnxīlán ren" or I'm a New Zealander and his reply was in shaky English... All Blacks Lomu. So maybe you could add All Blacks to the list?
ReplyDelete