Wednesday, 11 September 2013

Wind Day!

Hi Kowhai Room
Wow - what a night - it was pretty windy at my place - I hope every one is all okay!

School has no power today so we are closed.

You could still do some awesome things - if you have some different Jelly colours at home try making a Traffic Light Jelly or a Rainbow Jelly! Take photos - what container will you put it in? What shape Jelly could you make? What is the volume of your container?  Take some photos of what you are doing.

You could go and stand outside (in a safe place away from trees) and let the wind blow your hair around, feel what the wind is doing, the sound it makes etc. Take a photo of you out in the wind! Email the photos to me.

Then write me a sentence describing the blowing wind? Write it in a comment and I'll make a blog post out of them.

I'll get you started...

The lemon tree knocked on my window, trying desperately to get in out of the howling gale flinging leaves and garden furniture around.

You could use these words: howling, blustery, wild, squally, gusting, stormy.

You could also check out the maths ideas on the blog etc

Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Miss Lyall,

    Us To! We had a really windy night today we were trying to find some place for me to go!

    Some of our big trees fell down I was out side at the time I was sooo close to injuring my self since I was very close to the tree when it fell!

    We went for a drive there were trees blocking roads and things. And a car is smashed from driving past when a big tree fell down.

    We are really lucky since we still have power, water and electricity!

    My poem would be. . . .
    I feel the blowing of the wind deep in my soul,
    But A blustery night nearly into snow. . .
    A big lump in my heart feeling just like a hole.
    The house right on ground,
    But then with a big howling sound. . .
    The house lifts away in a magical blur,
    With a thump and a bump the house lands on a cloud up in the sky with a pit and a patter out side. . .

    I know I got a bit carried away in that poem sorry!

    Samantha


    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Miss Lyall,

    A wind day! We had never heard of a wind day before! Sometimes we get snow days and our teacher used to get hurricane days when she lived in Florida. We are learning about how different people live all over the world. Thank you for sharing this example with us! We're glad you are safe and we loved Samantha's poem!

    Mrs. Felter's 3rd Grade
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    U.S.A.

    ReplyDelete